Paulo Coelho has always been really close to my heart as my journey to mainstream novels began with his book ‘The Alchemist’. Ever since then, his words have managed to leave deep impact on me. So here, sharing with you 11 quotes from Paulo Coelho’s books that changed my idea of life.
1) “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say.”
It starts young, from a very early age we are asked to give more importance to logic and reason than what our heart guides us to do. I too, was told that I should not let my heart dominate my decisions, that I should rise above my feeling and make a logical choice. But it always felt like I was betraying some part of me. My conflict came to rest when I read this.
2) “Everything, absolutely everything on this earth makes sense, and even the smallest things are worthy of our consideration.”
We all have days when we are full of self-doubt, when we feel like we are nothing and can’t find any reasons to love ourselves. Paulo’s books have always had this special emphasis on the need to believe in yourself. So when the world tries to belittle you, tell yourself that you matter, because you do.
3) “People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.”
The best and worst feelings in the world cannot really be contained in words. Then be it the feeling of being in love or the pain of a heartbreak. You can never learn the joy and the hurt from being told, you have to take that chance yourself. Some emotions can only be deciphered when felt.
4) ‘Love isn’t just a feeling. It’s an art. And like any art, it takes not only inspiration but also a lot of work.’
When you tell your partner you love them each night, it is an attempt to remind them how they make you feel, how important they are to you and how you will hold their hand through the thick and the thin. Loving someone is a constant process, you have to try to know them better each day, hold them when they are unreasonable when you don’t agree with them. You will make mistakes, we all do, but do not give up on it.
5) “The strongest love is the love that can demonstrate its fragility.”
Love should give a chance, a chance to make mistakes, a chance to be flawed, a chance to tear our heart open and live without the fear of being robbed off our feelings. Love should not be pretentious, it does not matter how the world will see you, all that matters is how deeply can you confide into them. When you can talk about fears, let them see your weakness without being scared, that is the best kind of love.
6) “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
How easy is it to comment about all the wrong decisions people are making around you? But if you are that sensible, how come life is not a cakewalk for you? Every person has their own different challenges that we cannot judge from afar. Be more accepting and kind for none of us carry a manual with us to take us through life.
7) ‘When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.’
We aren’t who we want to be, we are what society demands. We are what our parents choose. We don’t want to disappoint anyone; we have a great need to be loved. So we smother the best in us. Gradually, the light of our dreams turns into the monster of our nightmares. They become things not done, possibilities not lived. And so when we stop being the person we have forced ourselves to be, we find us.
8) “We are the ones who create the messes in our heads. It does not come from outside.”
If you believe you are beautiful, you are. If you have faith you can draw, you can. No one knows you better than you. You are the reason for your inferiorities and doubts. The world can be pretty harsh but you have got to love yourself and have faith.
9) “She would consider each day a miracle – which indeed it is, when you consider the number of unexpected things that could happen in each second of our fragile existences.”
Every second, life is born on this planet; every second, the sky changes its colour; a new wonder awaits us every second. Never stop believing in miracles, for the world is a magical place.
10) ‘Life always waits for some crisis to occur before revealing itself at its most brilliant.’
Don’t be scared of bad days. One of the earliest things I remember being told is that all good things take time and I am a firm believer of that. Sail through the storm, stand tall against it and you will reach the island you been looking for.
11) “No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it”.
You can find your belongingness in people, but you can’t own them. You may have a right on them but don’t forget the right they have on themselves. Don’t try to stop them from going away because you are scared that they might not come back. If they belong with you, they will find the way that leads to you.